Superfoods: “Superfood” a food that widely considered to be very good for health and that may even avail some medical conditions. The food industry wants to persuade us that eating some foods can decelerate the aging process, reduced depression, boost our physical strength, and even our intelligence.
Many of us believe that eating a single fruit or vegetable containing a certain antioxidant will zap a diseased cell. Antioxidants are chemicals that protect against harmful effects of free radicals, which are chemicals that naturally produced in every living cell and causing cell damage.
Popular superfoods with nutritional facts
1. Blueberries and Goji berries often top many lists of superfoods because rich in vitamins, soluble fiber, and phytochemicals.
2. Wheatgrass is higher in nutritional content than any other vegetable, protects against inflammation improves circulation and builds red blood cell.
3. Chocolate is processed and sweetened food produced from cocoa. Cocoa a good source of iron, magnesium, phosphorous, manganese and zinc. It also a source of the antioxidants catechins and procyanidins.
4. Salmon, sardines, mackerel and certain other fatty fish are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are thought to lower the risk of heart disease and stroke.
5. Kiwifruit also tops many a list of popular superfoods. Its benefits are similar, for the most part, to melons, citrus fruit, berries, apples, and pears, all are high in vitamin C and rich in antioxidants.
6. Beans and whole grains are standard additions to the superfood lists. Beans are a source of low-fat protein. Beans contain insoluble fiber, which lowers cholesterol.
7. Nuts and seeds contain high levels of minerals and healthy fats. Although these are common additions to superfood lists, the downside is that they are high in calories.
8. Pomegranate is a good source of fiber. It also contains vitamins A, C and E, iron and other antioxidants.
You Might Also Like:
Rotator Cuff Tear!Symptoms,Causes,Diagnosis,Treatment & Exercises
Gout Arthritis: Symptom, Causes, Treatment & Gout Diet
What is Physical Therapy? Role & Benefits of Physiotherapy
9. Garlic contains vitamins C and B6, manganese, selenium, and other antioxidants.
More recent evidence-based research suggests garlic may be effective against high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, cholesterol, colds, and some cancers.
10. Beetroot is a good source of iron and folate (naturally occurring folic acid). It also contains nitrates, betaine, magnesium, and other antioxidants
11. Green tea is richer in antioxidants than other types of tea because they are processed. Green tea contains B vitamins, folate (naturally folic acid), potassium, magnesium, manganese, caffeine and other antioxidants, notably catechins.
12. Broccoli is a good source of vitamin C and folate (naturally occurring folic acid). It also contains vitamins A, K, calcium, fiber, beta-carotene, and other antioxidants.
13. Red wine in mitigation(moderation) may have some health benefits, but the American Heart Association doesn’t recommend imbibing alcohol to get them. High alcohol consumption can have negative effects on health, such as incremented triglyceride levels, high blood pressure, and liver damage.