Metabolic Syndrome:Causes,Symptoms,Diagnosis & Treatment
Metabolic Syndrome:Metabolic syndrome is a cluster of metabolic disorders. Metabolic syndrome is at least three of the five following medical conditions-
- Abdominal obesity (Waist circumference of greater than 40 inches in men, and greater than 35 inches in women)
- High blood pressure of 130/85 or more.
- Fasting glucose of 100 mg/dL or greater
- High serum triglycerides-150 mg/dl or above.
- low high-density lipoprotein (HDL) levels- 40mg/dl or lower in men and 50mg/dl or lower in women.
Metabolic syndrome is associated with the risk of developing cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes. While a patient manifests with these conditions together, the possibilities for future cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes is greater than any one factor presenting alone.