Just like the young turks, veterans also need to remain connected. Besides being connected, they need to know what is happening around them, access emergency healthcare services and so much more. An iPad is one of the devices that can enable a veteran to enjoy all these benefits on the go. However, these devices costs an arm and a leg. Depending on the model that you please, chances are that you have to part with at least $400 or even more. If you are a low income veterans, you might not be able to afford to purchase your preferred iPad upfront.
Thankfully, the Federal government is now offering free iPads to veterans via ACP. Apart from ACP, you can now get a free iPad for veterans via Veterans Affairs (VA) Adaptive Technology program. This is because Apple is collaborating with Veterans Affairs program to offer all qualifying veterans free iPads so that they can access telehealth services from the comfort of their homes. In this article, we shall take a closer look at how to get free iPads for veterans, the various eligibility requirements they need to meet, the various iPad models one can get and so much more.
Benefits Of Offering Free iPad For Veterans
Once you get a free iPad for veterans, trust that you will enjoy the following benefits:
- It allows you to keep in touch with your friends and family members.
- The free model allows you to have access to a number of resources that are related to job training, healthcare, education and so much more. This way, you will be able to transition into civilian life seamlessly.
- The free iPad allows you to access emergency healthcare services.
- It keeps you entertained as you can now surf the internet, play games, watch movies and so much more.
- Suppose you missed out on schooling, this tablet can help you learn online and thus pursue further education. Here, you can consider taking online classes and learn from the comfort of your home.
- The free iPad allows you to be independent as you will have access to apps and tools that can help you perform different tasks. From managing medications to ordering items online, there are many ways these apps can help improve your independence back at home. Consequently, this will help improve your quality of life.
- With the free iPad in place, you will be able to know what is happening both in your country and across its borders.
- The free model can help build your professional network via online training programs.
- Suppose you need legal services; this free model can allow you to get much-needed assistance when it comes to critical issues such as disability claims and so much more.
How to Get Veterans Free iPad Through Veteran Affairs
As we mentioned in the introduction, one way to get a free iPad for veterans is via Veterans Affairs. This comes after the Department of Veterans announced that it is now collaborating with Apple in order to enable veterans to access virtual care benefits. Here, all the eligible veterans will be able to access the much-needed telehealth services.
As we speak, this program has allowed more than 50000 veterans in the United States to enjoy these services. Since the advent of COVID-19 pandemic, this program increased the number of devices that it issued to veterans so that they can connect to Veteran Affairs health services from the comfort of their homes.
How to Qualify for Free iPad For Veterans Through Veteran Affairs (VA)
To qualify for a free iPad for veterans via VA, you need to ensure that you meet the following minimum requirements:
- You must be a veteran that has been enrolled in VA healthcare
- You do not have access to Internet services
- You do not have a device that can allow you to make video calls.
- You should be interested in getting a free iPad via this program.
If you meet these requirements, you are at liberty to visit or consult your Veteran Affairs healthcare team and establish if you will be in apposition to get a free iPad.
How to Get Veterans Free iPad Through ACP?
Besides the Veteran Affairs program, you can now get a free iPad for veterans via ACP. Unlike the Veteran Affairs that started in 2016, ACP was launched on 31st December 2021 after the Emergency Broadband Benefit program came to an end.
Once you qualify for this program, you will be able to get a discounted iPad and thus be connected with those whom you love. The iPad that you will receive for veterans is not free per se as you have to part with at least $10 and not more than $50 towards the purchase of your preferred model. Your ACP carrier will offer a one-time discount of up to $100 so that you can buy your desired iPad inexpensively.
Depending on the carrier that you choose to work with, you might be lucky to enjoy unlimited talk, text and mobile data. Additionally, you might be able to get mobile hotspot data so that you can connect other wireless devices to the internet seamlessly.
Finally, you stand a chance to enjoy discounts of up to $30 on a monthly basis if you live on Non-tribal lands. However, if you reside on Tribal lands, note that you will enjoy discounts of up to $75 per month. With all these incredible offers in place, you can trust that you will be able to lower the overall cost of communication.
How to Qualify Veterans Free iPad Through ACP?
Although it is the wish of most veterans to obtain a free iPad, not all of them qualify to get a free model via ACP. To qualify, you need to ensure that your income stands at or is below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
Remember that the Federal Poverty Guidelines vary from one state to another. Therefore, you will have to check what your state’s FPGs outline and then establish if you meet the minimum requirement or not.
If you fail to qualify via the low income criteria, you stand the chance to get a free iPad for veterans in case you are approved to enjoy any of the following government assistance programs:
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
- Federal Public Housing Assistance
- Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children(WIC)
- Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit
- You were approved to get a Federal Pell Grant in the current award year.
- Tribal Head Start
- You are a beneficiary of a Federal and Reduced Price School Lunch Program or School Breakfast Program, including at the U.S Department of Agriculture (USDA) Community Eligibility Provision Schools.
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families(Tribal TANF)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
What Documents Do I Need To Get A Free iPad For Veterans
Apart from meeting the eligibility requirements mentioned above, you will be needed to submit copies of documents to show that you deserve to get a free iPad for veterans via ACP. To put this into perspective, you will need to submit a copy of a document that can help prove your identity and eligibility status.
To prove your identity, ensure that you submit a document that shows your name in full, date of birth, where you live, and so much more. The following are some of the copies that contain these finer details:
- Lease or mortgage statement
- Utility bill
- Government-issued, military, state or Tribal ID
- Certificate of U.S citizenship or naturalization
- Tax or W-2 tax return document
- U.S driver’s license
- Permanent resident card or Green card.
To prove your eligibility status, ensure that you submit a copy of a document that shows that you earn a low income or are a beneficiary of a government assistance program. As for the latter, consider submitting a copy of any of these documents:
- Benefit award letter
- Approval letter
- Statement of benefits
- Benefit verification letter
Suppose your income stands at or is below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines; remember to attach a copy of these documents to your application form:
- Child support award
- Paycheck stub
- Pension or retirement statement of benefits
- Federal or Tribal notice letter of participation in General Assistance
- Current income statement from your employer
- Social Security Statement of Benefits
- Veterans Administration Statement of Benefits
- Divorce decree
- Unemployment or Worker’s Compensation Statement of Benefits
- Prior year’s state, Federal, or Tribal tax return
- Any other document that shows your current income levels.
What’s The Process Of Getting A Free iPad For Veterans
When it comes to the free iPad for the veterans application process, 3 main methods can help you get started. These include:
1. Apply online
To get the most out of this method, you should ensure that you have a computer and a good internet connection. Thereafter, launch your browser and then follow these steps;
- Visit the National Verifier’s official website and by clicking “affordableconnectivity.gov” and then click on the ‘Apply Now’ button that you will see on your screen.
- You will be redirected to a different page where you will find a number of pre-requisites that you should have before you start the actual application process. For instance, you need to ensure that you have a valid email address, your Tribal ID number, the last 4 digits of your Social Security Number, among other details.
- With these details at your fingertips, tap on the ‘Next’ button and you will be redirected to another page where you will find the online application form.
- Fill in the details as required and then attach copies of your personal and eligibility documents to the application form.
- Check whether everything is right and then submit your application for consideration.
2. Apply via mail
If you are not a tech savvy veteran, you can consider applying for a free iPad via the mail method. The following are the vital steps that you ought to follow:
- Visit “affordableconnectivity.gov/wp-content/uploads/ACP-Application-Form-English.pdf” and then download the ACP application form that you will find on this site. Thereafter, print it out so that you can fill it later.
- Since you are applying for a free iPad for veterans via ACP, there is a need for you to download the Household Worksheet. To download this form, visit “affordableconnectivity.gov/wp-content/uploads/lifeline/images/ACP-Household-Worksheet-English.pdf“. Once you are done, print it right away.
- After downloading these two forms, the next step is to fill them with your details.
- Once you are done, attach physical copies of your personal and eligibility documents to the application form.
- Confirm that every detail entered is correct and then mail the package to the ACP Support Center via this address; P.O Box Wilkes-Barre, PA 18773.
3. Apply via your Preferred ACP carrier
Besides the methods that we have discussed above, it is possible for you to apply for a free iPad for Veterans via your preferred ACP carrier. From Qlink Wireless to AirTalk Wireless, there is a plethora of carriers that participate in the Affordable Connectivity Program.
As you choose your preferred ACP carrier, ensure that you live in a state where that carrier offers its services. Also, choose one that offers the best deal when it comes to ACP benefits. Once you choose your selected carrier, visit its official website and then follow these steps:
- Enter your ZIP code and email address on the fields that you will see on your screen. Other times, the carrier might only require you to enter your ZIP code only.
- Once you enter your ZIP code click on the ‘Apply Now’ or ‘Get Started’ button.
- If the carrier offer the services in your state, you will be able to access the online application form.
- Key in your details correctly and then attach copies of your personal and eligibility documents to the application form.
- Before you submit your application form, check and establish that everything is correct. This is because your application can be rejected as a result of keying the wrong details and so on.
- If you are convinced that everything is right, tap on the ‘Submit’ button.
ACP Service Providers That Offer Free iPad For Veterans
Some of the reputable carriers that offer free iPads for Veterans include:
- Qlink Wireless
- AirTalk Wireless
- Cintex Wireless
- NewPhone Wireless
- StandUp Wireless
- Easy Wireless
- LE Wireless
Types Of Free iPad For Veterans
If your application is approved, trust that you will receive a decent free iPad model such as:
- Apple iPad 3
- Apple iPad Mini
- Apple iPad Mini 3
- Apple iPad Air
- Apple iPad Mini 2
Alternative Ways Of Getting A Free iPad For Veterans
Sometimes, you might apply for a free iPad for veterans and fail to get one due to one reason or another. However, this should not frustrate you as you can get a free or discounted model via the following ways.
- Wounded warrior project: The above-mentioned program offers free iPads to veterans who are either disabled or injured so that they can communicate effectively with healthcare professionals. Besides this, the free iPads allow them to access other support networks within their locality.
- The patriot foundation: This foundation also offers free iPads to those veterans who might be disabled or injured to remain connected with their loved ones. Additionally, these tablets allow veterans to enjoy various technology services from the comfort of their homes.
- Promotions and giveaways: Besides the above-mentioned methods, you can consider participating in promotions and giveaways online and establish if you will be able to get a free iPad. The good news is that you will only be required to perform a simple task online and thus be able to get a free model. However, you must be careful when participating in the various promotions and giveaways that you might come across online as some are scams.
- Charity organizations: Currently, many charity organizations offer free iPads to eligible Americans. Depending on where you live, you can consider looking for local charity groups and let them know that you need a free iPad. As long as you can prove that you genuinely need a free model, these organizations will be ready to offer you one right away.